Clearly, The Elephant In The Room Ain't Much For Small Talk

"Tourists will travel from far and wide to see the famous "torture cubicle" in which you slaved away for years, wishing for a quick and merciful death. "

Before I continue, I must relay that I'm laughing inside at the visual of those of you in my immediate audience cringing at the grammatical error in my subject line. Frankly, I'm shocked and perhaps a tad aroused you wouldn't have previously noted my fetish for run-on sentences.....

OK - I believe I let that soak in long enough :). Even in it's infancy, at some point one of the two of you will observe that, although I truly do write from the heart, I don't often divulge private details. In this case, I need to make an exception. I have been delicately waltzing around a simultaneously heartbreaking and enraging scenario going on in the paradise that is my work. The dreaded "L" word. And if your first thought was "Lesbian", you may as well find another blog to read as I am a Fruit Fly to the Nth degree. No, My Darlings, LAY OFFS. Without logic, let alone much in the way of careful business consideration, the fate of 22 people (many of whom I hold dear to my heart) has been decided. Corporate America at it's very finest. The bar is so disgustingly low I can't help but wretch at the thought.

Will they be OK? It's not one of those things one can even approach measuring. Even the monetarily wealthiest of humans can't help but be affected by something like this. And there was a very important word in that last sentence that I must repeat: HUMANS. Contrary to popular belief, we are not just zeroes in a sea of binary code from days gone by. We all have something to offer. Even the loneliest of us are something special to someone. Often we don't even realize all those we affect and touch in a positive way as we hurry about our hectic existence. For the first time, yesterday, I met the postal carrier (Phyllis) assigned to our neck of the woods. She positively glowed at what an apparent joy it is to be met with the smiling faces of some of the damn good folks I am surrounded by. I was initially & naively stunned. Some days, I'm lucky to get a "You're #1!" in the form of an Italian hand gesture - but in all honesty, I am immeasurably fortunate to have met each and every one of the people in the aforementioned lot.

A few hours ago, one adorable gentleman, who was not among those 22, was in my office gathering information to take on some of the PLETHORA of tasks left behind. His remark that he's been screwed before but at least previously with the courtesy of a kiss (or for Pete's sake, a nice dinner)... It's a two-fold wave of aftershocks. Those of us left behind are aching for the fate of the 22. "Why wasn't it me?" "What now?" "What the f*ck?" are among common mutterings... putting all the selfishness of our primal survival needs aside, I believe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't necessarily an oncoming train. I believe in my heart that every last one of those people will be monumentally successful in the adventures that lay ahead. And for the rest of us, perhaps we just answered that wake up call on the Bat Phone. Some much needed motivation sparked by fear or anger? Many of the greatest feats of mankind arrived on the tails of that straw that broke the camel's back.

I shall end with this: Of all the times in my life I've uttered the phrase "Promise me you'll keep in touch", never before was I at the necessary maturity level to mean every last word of it with the sincerest intent. To all those I am lucky enough to call friends and additionally adding a "shout out" to all those out there going through something similar - Good luck, godspeed and GO GET 'EM, TIGER!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Friday, March 11, 2011

Clearly, The Elephant In The Room Ain't Much For Small Talk

"Tourists will travel from far and wide to see the famous "torture cubicle" in which you slaved away for years, wishing for a quick and merciful death. "

Before I continue, I must relay that I'm laughing inside at the visual of those of you in my immediate audience cringing at the grammatical error in my subject line. Frankly, I'm shocked and perhaps a tad aroused you wouldn't have previously noted my fetish for run-on sentences.....

OK - I believe I let that soak in long enough :). Even in it's infancy, at some point one of the two of you will observe that, although I truly do write from the heart, I don't often divulge private details. In this case, I need to make an exception. I have been delicately waltzing around a simultaneously heartbreaking and enraging scenario going on in the paradise that is my work. The dreaded "L" word. And if your first thought was "Lesbian", you may as well find another blog to read as I am a Fruit Fly to the Nth degree. No, My Darlings, LAY OFFS. Without logic, let alone much in the way of careful business consideration, the fate of 22 people (many of whom I hold dear to my heart) has been decided. Corporate America at it's very finest. The bar is so disgustingly low I can't help but wretch at the thought.

Will they be OK? It's not one of those things one can even approach measuring. Even the monetarily wealthiest of humans can't help but be affected by something like this. And there was a very important word in that last sentence that I must repeat: HUMANS. Contrary to popular belief, we are not just zeroes in a sea of binary code from days gone by. We all have something to offer. Even the loneliest of us are something special to someone. Often we don't even realize all those we affect and touch in a positive way as we hurry about our hectic existence. For the first time, yesterday, I met the postal carrier (Phyllis) assigned to our neck of the woods. She positively glowed at what an apparent joy it is to be met with the smiling faces of some of the damn good folks I am surrounded by. I was initially & naively stunned. Some days, I'm lucky to get a "You're #1!" in the form of an Italian hand gesture - but in all honesty, I am immeasurably fortunate to have met each and every one of the people in the aforementioned lot.

A few hours ago, one adorable gentleman, who was not among those 22, was in my office gathering information to take on some of the PLETHORA of tasks left behind. His remark that he's been screwed before but at least previously with the courtesy of a kiss (or for Pete's sake, a nice dinner)... It's a two-fold wave of aftershocks. Those of us left behind are aching for the fate of the 22. "Why wasn't it me?" "What now?" "What the f*ck?" are among common mutterings... putting all the selfishness of our primal survival needs aside, I believe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't necessarily an oncoming train. I believe in my heart that every last one of those people will be monumentally successful in the adventures that lay ahead. And for the rest of us, perhaps we just answered that wake up call on the Bat Phone. Some much needed motivation sparked by fear or anger? Many of the greatest feats of mankind arrived on the tails of that straw that broke the camel's back.

I shall end with this: Of all the times in my life I've uttered the phrase "Promise me you'll keep in touch", never before was I at the necessary maturity level to mean every last word of it with the sincerest intent. To all those I am lucky enough to call friends and additionally adding a "shout out" to all those out there going through something similar - Good luck, godspeed and GO GET 'EM, TIGER!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment