It's All A Matter Of Opinion....

"Your whole life is thrown into a terrible new perspective when you learn that Enter The Dragon is not intended to be a romantic comedy"... Hmph. I respectfully disagree :).

Ever since my oldest spawn was "blessed" with the gift of gab, he has been questioning everything around him. No doubt about it - this can be an admirable trait. OR, this could be the basic foundation for a new anarchist movement. I've certainly been convinced that kid will form a cult someday, but I'm also REALLY trying to provide him with the most basic tools of survival (you know, aside from mentally torturing victims). I'll throw a little bit of back story in here for some frame of reference: I speak of my 4 year old King Van: Virgo, red head, co-conspirator with a pack of Muppets, legend in his spare time, and deviously brilliant. That last one isn't uttered so much from the perspective of an overly gushing Mama, but rather fear. This kid is clever... the sort of clever where he isn't likely to use his powers for good and may even give you pause on things you always knew to be factual.

Ever seen Gaslight? No? Excellent Flick. 1944? Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Angela Lansbury? Wow. One of us needs to get out more. But I digress, despite a far more involved and brilliant plot, the main thing I took away from it was the ease with which someone could drive another to the brink of insanity. The parallel is eerie between this and my relationship w/ my uncoordinated midget (And I choose to stoop to a childish level by heckling him over his height as he is only about one year away from surpassing me vertically).

Beyond my general amusement wrapped in a blanket of frustration over a 4 year old having homework assignments, I really struggle with getting past his brilliant facade and ensuring he is, in fact, learning something. Even the tiniest "fact" explodes into a furious debate. Ever argued with yourself and lost? Then you may be able to relate. At the end of the day, I'm no longer confident I can distinguish between basic colors or shapes - in fact, I'm hesitant to say I'm quite sure of anything. "Darling, trust me, that is a triangle" "Is it, Mama? Or is it possible that it's the only visible portion of a square or perhaps even an octagon?" Me thinks it's a sign to go straight for the box of wine in the garage when he fires back with such sound logic supporting his skewed reality.

I read somewhere that serial killers start off from similar roots....

In general, I do take a step back and marvel at the brain of a child. After all, a similar experience during a "Creativity and Education" course I took in college is what convinced me to drop out and never look back. That kid will go places. He has expressed interest in being a penguin when he grows up. Seems he has more figured out in his 55 months on this planet than I will have over the course of my lifetime. Who knows? He may just figure out the secrets of reincarnation by the time he hits high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's All A Matter Of Opinion....

"Your whole life is thrown into a terrible new perspective when you learn that Enter The Dragon is not intended to be a romantic comedy"... Hmph. I respectfully disagree :).

Ever since my oldest spawn was "blessed" with the gift of gab, he has been questioning everything around him. No doubt about it - this can be an admirable trait. OR, this could be the basic foundation for a new anarchist movement. I've certainly been convinced that kid will form a cult someday, but I'm also REALLY trying to provide him with the most basic tools of survival (you know, aside from mentally torturing victims). I'll throw a little bit of back story in here for some frame of reference: I speak of my 4 year old King Van: Virgo, red head, co-conspirator with a pack of Muppets, legend in his spare time, and deviously brilliant. That last one isn't uttered so much from the perspective of an overly gushing Mama, but rather fear. This kid is clever... the sort of clever where he isn't likely to use his powers for good and may even give you pause on things you always knew to be factual.

Ever seen Gaslight? No? Excellent Flick. 1944? Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Angela Lansbury? Wow. One of us needs to get out more. But I digress, despite a far more involved and brilliant plot, the main thing I took away from it was the ease with which someone could drive another to the brink of insanity. The parallel is eerie between this and my relationship w/ my uncoordinated midget (And I choose to stoop to a childish level by heckling him over his height as he is only about one year away from surpassing me vertically).

Beyond my general amusement wrapped in a blanket of frustration over a 4 year old having homework assignments, I really struggle with getting past his brilliant facade and ensuring he is, in fact, learning something. Even the tiniest "fact" explodes into a furious debate. Ever argued with yourself and lost? Then you may be able to relate. At the end of the day, I'm no longer confident I can distinguish between basic colors or shapes - in fact, I'm hesitant to say I'm quite sure of anything. "Darling, trust me, that is a triangle" "Is it, Mama? Or is it possible that it's the only visible portion of a square or perhaps even an octagon?" Me thinks it's a sign to go straight for the box of wine in the garage when he fires back with such sound logic supporting his skewed reality.

I read somewhere that serial killers start off from similar roots....

In general, I do take a step back and marvel at the brain of a child. After all, a similar experience during a "Creativity and Education" course I took in college is what convinced me to drop out and never look back. That kid will go places. He has expressed interest in being a penguin when he grows up. Seems he has more figured out in his 55 months on this planet than I will have over the course of my lifetime. Who knows? He may just figure out the secrets of reincarnation by the time he hits high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment