Luck 'O The Irish...

" Experience is a great teacher. This week, it will teach you your Miranda rights, the difference between a polecat and a skunk, and what a sucker punch is. "

...Is not something this Broad genetically possesses. In fact, I grew up in a particularly paranoid habitat  - there was frequent mention of the damned luck surrounding my maiden name coupled with that of my mother's. When I got married, I quickly found there is an apparent curse associated with my new name as well. As an on-again-off-again superstitious individual, I thought it kosher to hide under a rock anytime the going got tough. Well, what better day than today to rid the 'ol shoulder of such a pesky little chip? The sky is falling, a black cat crossed my path this morning, I walked under a ladder to get to my car keys (Seems I have an unusual taste for decor) and that woodland creature just looked at me with sinister intent. Tis all entirely possible. But so what? I'm all for holding onto those little security blankies in the name of "luck". PETA already revoked my membership when news surfaced of the doll clothes I used to force poor Spooky into - so hell, if a rabbit's foot is your cup 'o tea and helps you sleep at night - Why not? (Totally kidding, Thumper... Please don't come back and haunt me from beyond the grave for not cleaning your cage often enough). There is no grave harm in boosting one's own confidence based on inanimate objects so long as at some point, there is a sprinkling of healthy realism thrown in there for taste.

"Did you see what GOD just did to us man!?""God didn't do that, you did! You're a fucking narcotics agent, I knew it!" - I always think of this scene when imagining those who helplessly hide behind a perceived and sealed fate. They're further so completely convinced of this, they may as well throw their hands up and submit to the gov't wire tapping obviously at hand. Are there a lot of shady people out there? No doubt about it. Is there much you can do about it? Not likely.

We will never have complete control of all the ups and downs life throws at us. But we ARE active participants. There is a silly little intangible thing called taking responsibility for your own actions. Akin to a Choose Your Own Adventure book (Man, I miss those), you pick what's behind Door #1 (***Note the part where YOU chose that door***) and off you go on the next adventure. If you're reading this right now, chances are you've been given another day above ground. So whatcha going to do with it?  Pour another cup of tea for your pity party, or make the most of it?

I shall randomly end on this note - seems it was my horoscope:
Cancer
Remember, a bend in the road isn't the end of the road. While we're on the subject, the circular device on the dashboard can be used to turn your car. (hee hee)

P.S. On a side tangent, my son told me he'd "punch" me if I didn't wear green today. I chose not to wear green to test that theory.... wish the poor boy luck in the upcoming brawl ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Luck 'O The Irish...

" Experience is a great teacher. This week, it will teach you your Miranda rights, the difference between a polecat and a skunk, and what a sucker punch is. "

...Is not something this Broad genetically possesses. In fact, I grew up in a particularly paranoid habitat  - there was frequent mention of the damned luck surrounding my maiden name coupled with that of my mother's. When I got married, I quickly found there is an apparent curse associated with my new name as well. As an on-again-off-again superstitious individual, I thought it kosher to hide under a rock anytime the going got tough. Well, what better day than today to rid the 'ol shoulder of such a pesky little chip? The sky is falling, a black cat crossed my path this morning, I walked under a ladder to get to my car keys (Seems I have an unusual taste for decor) and that woodland creature just looked at me with sinister intent. Tis all entirely possible. But so what? I'm all for holding onto those little security blankies in the name of "luck". PETA already revoked my membership when news surfaced of the doll clothes I used to force poor Spooky into - so hell, if a rabbit's foot is your cup 'o tea and helps you sleep at night - Why not? (Totally kidding, Thumper... Please don't come back and haunt me from beyond the grave for not cleaning your cage often enough). There is no grave harm in boosting one's own confidence based on inanimate objects so long as at some point, there is a sprinkling of healthy realism thrown in there for taste.

"Did you see what GOD just did to us man!?""God didn't do that, you did! You're a fucking narcotics agent, I knew it!" - I always think of this scene when imagining those who helplessly hide behind a perceived and sealed fate. They're further so completely convinced of this, they may as well throw their hands up and submit to the gov't wire tapping obviously at hand. Are there a lot of shady people out there? No doubt about it. Is there much you can do about it? Not likely.

We will never have complete control of all the ups and downs life throws at us. But we ARE active participants. There is a silly little intangible thing called taking responsibility for your own actions. Akin to a Choose Your Own Adventure book (Man, I miss those), you pick what's behind Door #1 (***Note the part where YOU chose that door***) and off you go on the next adventure. If you're reading this right now, chances are you've been given another day above ground. So whatcha going to do with it?  Pour another cup of tea for your pity party, or make the most of it?

I shall randomly end on this note - seems it was my horoscope:
Cancer
Remember, a bend in the road isn't the end of the road. While we're on the subject, the circular device on the dashboard can be used to turn your car. (hee hee)

P.S. On a side tangent, my son told me he'd "punch" me if I didn't wear green today. I chose not to wear green to test that theory.... wish the poor boy luck in the upcoming brawl ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment