April Showers May Cause Annie To Overestimate Her Abilities....

"  Inspiration will hit you when you least expect it this week, knocking you completely unconscious while your back is turned. "

Each Spring, as I reluctantly crawl out of my hibernation-like state of laziness and seasonal depression, I experience a sudden rush of motivation and wild ideas. I mentally flash-forward to some moment in time when I'm sitting on my back deck sipping coffee at 5am... marveling at the warm breeze dancing off my skin and beaming with pride at the fruits of my labor: A lush, well maintained lawn, free of Bella's various bowel movements, perfectly placed landscape lighting and flowering bushes - the patio fashioned of flagstone in such a way, it compliments the fire pit and furniture arrangement in such an impeccably well-thought-out manner... further enhanced by the Boho-chic illuminations of all the spectacular lanterns hanging from the meticulously arching branches of the ancient and wise shade tree towering overhead. One would almost mistake me for having the remotest talents to bring this all from conception to reality with such fanciful dreaming, no? Alas, I have had these magical notions on so many occasions - yet as another Monday draws near, it's a bit of a miracle if I accomplished anything beyond napping (let alone bathing)!

Despite severely lacking talent in so many areas, it would be a delightful escape to take on all the projects I find myself daydreaming of. Regardless of outcome - the euphoria from getting my hands dirty or clothes spattered with paint rather than regurgitation.... Experiments in brilliant colors and chainsaw concoctions.... welding a wonderland of creatures to frolic in the playground of foliage. Nothing lifts the spirits quite like accomplishment - of any sort, really.

My parents had a very modest, but beautifully maintained yard. Levels upon levels of greenery.... edible flowers and berries in every shade of the rainbow (by the by, I define "edible" the absence of an E.R. visit after consumption) - I would marvel at what fun it would be to throw cocktail parties and BBQ's... Scores of good friends and good cheer (good spirits would certainly enable the latter where conversation failed to...). My family, however, didn't smile upon company of any sort and so much as a ringing phone was a mind-numbing nuisance. Growing up in silent solitude, while somewhere in the distance: sounds of laughter and birds chirping... smells of charcoal, chlorine and Coppertone.  I seemingly long to experience outdoor socialization with the ever increasing presence of daylight hours.

I aspire to FIND the time, banish the excuses and do the things I enjoy outside. To come out of my shell and bask in the world beyond the closed blinds and climate-controlled habitat. Maybe I could find a way to overcome the miniature buzzing critters hopping about in the half-dead grass and the obnoxious tickle of the wafting cotton from that god-forsaken junk tree two houses down..... As the landscape slowly begins to thaw and transform as though kissed by that Harlot, Mother Nature, I am making myself a promise. To put forth more of an effort in achieving the variety of accomplishments that may even guide me through the less-favored seasons with a bit less angst.

We're almost one month into one of my two favorite seasons, and there is much to do - for once, not because of duty or deadline. Simply because the creativity contained between my ears is aching to flow on the canvas laid out beyond that sliding glass door. Should I succeed, you may consider this an official invite to swing by as frequently as the mood moves you. The fridge shall be stocked with beer, and if you're lucky, this elusive Kitty may even break out the harmonica and sparklers. Who wouldn't want to witness THAT disaster firsthand?

-N.K.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Monday, April 11, 2011

April Showers May Cause Annie To Overestimate Her Abilities....

"  Inspiration will hit you when you least expect it this week, knocking you completely unconscious while your back is turned. "

Each Spring, as I reluctantly crawl out of my hibernation-like state of laziness and seasonal depression, I experience a sudden rush of motivation and wild ideas. I mentally flash-forward to some moment in time when I'm sitting on my back deck sipping coffee at 5am... marveling at the warm breeze dancing off my skin and beaming with pride at the fruits of my labor: A lush, well maintained lawn, free of Bella's various bowel movements, perfectly placed landscape lighting and flowering bushes - the patio fashioned of flagstone in such a way, it compliments the fire pit and furniture arrangement in such an impeccably well-thought-out manner... further enhanced by the Boho-chic illuminations of all the spectacular lanterns hanging from the meticulously arching branches of the ancient and wise shade tree towering overhead. One would almost mistake me for having the remotest talents to bring this all from conception to reality with such fanciful dreaming, no? Alas, I have had these magical notions on so many occasions - yet as another Monday draws near, it's a bit of a miracle if I accomplished anything beyond napping (let alone bathing)!

Despite severely lacking talent in so many areas, it would be a delightful escape to take on all the projects I find myself daydreaming of. Regardless of outcome - the euphoria from getting my hands dirty or clothes spattered with paint rather than regurgitation.... Experiments in brilliant colors and chainsaw concoctions.... welding a wonderland of creatures to frolic in the playground of foliage. Nothing lifts the spirits quite like accomplishment - of any sort, really.

My parents had a very modest, but beautifully maintained yard. Levels upon levels of greenery.... edible flowers and berries in every shade of the rainbow (by the by, I define "edible" the absence of an E.R. visit after consumption) - I would marvel at what fun it would be to throw cocktail parties and BBQ's... Scores of good friends and good cheer (good spirits would certainly enable the latter where conversation failed to...). My family, however, didn't smile upon company of any sort and so much as a ringing phone was a mind-numbing nuisance. Growing up in silent solitude, while somewhere in the distance: sounds of laughter and birds chirping... smells of charcoal, chlorine and Coppertone.  I seemingly long to experience outdoor socialization with the ever increasing presence of daylight hours.

I aspire to FIND the time, banish the excuses and do the things I enjoy outside. To come out of my shell and bask in the world beyond the closed blinds and climate-controlled habitat. Maybe I could find a way to overcome the miniature buzzing critters hopping about in the half-dead grass and the obnoxious tickle of the wafting cotton from that god-forsaken junk tree two houses down..... As the landscape slowly begins to thaw and transform as though kissed by that Harlot, Mother Nature, I am making myself a promise. To put forth more of an effort in achieving the variety of accomplishments that may even guide me through the less-favored seasons with a bit less angst.

We're almost one month into one of my two favorite seasons, and there is much to do - for once, not because of duty or deadline. Simply because the creativity contained between my ears is aching to flow on the canvas laid out beyond that sliding glass door. Should I succeed, you may consider this an official invite to swing by as frequently as the mood moves you. The fridge shall be stocked with beer, and if you're lucky, this elusive Kitty may even break out the harmonica and sparklers. Who wouldn't want to witness THAT disaster firsthand?

-N.K.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment