wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji rocznicy slubu

"He looked at her.... She looked at him... And everyone else in the room threw up a little"

Five years ago, today, I asked my boss if I could take an extended lunch. As I was still fairly new at this job, it seemed a bold request. I'd say he agreed without hesitation, but he was far too curious as to what led to my sudden testicular fortitude...

"I'm getting married on my lunch break, today."

*long pause*...."Are you kidding me!?"

Five years ago, I met My Sweetheart at the County Clerk & Recorder's Office downtown. We giddily held hands as we approached the ominous building's glass entrance. Probably surrounded by the usual clamour of surly business-types rushing from one meeting to the next and cars ripe with road rage honking at the dame in the utterly insensible pumps, taking her sweet time to cross the street illegally. We didn't notice. It was a sparklingly sunny day and we were there to slap our $15 down and make things "official". 

Throughout the years, I have maintained that a piece of paper doesn't make or break true love.  It doesn't perfect our feelings nor does it keep all chance of pain or strife at bay. In many respects, it makes bureaucratic red tape a bit easier to cut through, and it certainly puts an end to some of the judgemental pestering from eras gone by. For us, none of this really matters. To this day, we wear the inexpensive rings we found at some beach peddler on a trip to Florida. There was no ceremony, no cake, no guests and no dress. It was simply something we felt we wanted to do. Aside from the banshee scowling at us from the other side of the desk that day - clearly nonplussed that we were the only ones in line not filing papers for divorce - it was a pleasant and quiet experience. We followed it up with a brief lunch at a friend's diner, then I headed back to work.

Many of my treasured memories of our time together thus far have been understated and simple. And we couldn't be more blessed than we are with our two beautiful (and kick-ass) boys. There have been so many ups and downs, celebrations and trials. Each day has the potential of bringing a new obstacle or crisis. And that's OK. It's all part of the cycle.

We understand each other on levels many others will never grasp. We bitch and gripe one moment, then find ourselves laughing and embracing the next. Anyone who knows me knows what a complete pain-in-the-ass I am (the rest of you have surely come to this conclusion based on previous posts ;) ) - I have a moving truck full of baggage and enough insecurities to fill a stadium. Yet when he looks at me, he has stars in his eyes as he appreciates me in all my troubled glory.

A dear friend of mine once remarked how drastically people can change in 5 years - and how she felt so fortunate that, even after all those changes, she and her husband of now 30 years were still so compatible. When My Honey and I first met, it was all such a whirlwind that I hardly think we gave any serious thought to compatibility. We had our first child rather quickly and then found ourselves immersed in the dramas of our respective families. Along came the permanent arrival of an in-law, the purchase of a house, the birth of our second child and the resulting financial/work stresses galore. Would we have popped up on some illuminated screen as the "Perfect Match"? Probably not. But it's often far more fun to succeed despite the odds, no? Somehow, at the end of each day, as we sit in the garage and chat over a beer or box of wine - the world just seems right.

  I won't pretend I'm not perplexed by the symbolism behind "wood" for a 5 year anniversary... Nor will I mask the fact that my train of thought instantly derails the way of innuendos.... Nonetheless, we have no real reason to be bound by others traditions, so our guilty pleasure dates to the hardware store should suffice. As my crystal ball has been misplaced somewhere, I have no clue what the future holds. There is no false hope or promise of a life-sized bowl of cherries....

....But with each passing day, I will thank the stars that I have my best friend, soul mate and the father of my two boys to brave it all with! Love you, Sugar! XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji rocznicy slubu

"He looked at her.... She looked at him... And everyone else in the room threw up a little"

Five years ago, today, I asked my boss if I could take an extended lunch. As I was still fairly new at this job, it seemed a bold request. I'd say he agreed without hesitation, but he was far too curious as to what led to my sudden testicular fortitude...

"I'm getting married on my lunch break, today."

*long pause*...."Are you kidding me!?"

Five years ago, I met My Sweetheart at the County Clerk & Recorder's Office downtown. We giddily held hands as we approached the ominous building's glass entrance. Probably surrounded by the usual clamour of surly business-types rushing from one meeting to the next and cars ripe with road rage honking at the dame in the utterly insensible pumps, taking her sweet time to cross the street illegally. We didn't notice. It was a sparklingly sunny day and we were there to slap our $15 down and make things "official". 

Throughout the years, I have maintained that a piece of paper doesn't make or break true love.  It doesn't perfect our feelings nor does it keep all chance of pain or strife at bay. In many respects, it makes bureaucratic red tape a bit easier to cut through, and it certainly puts an end to some of the judgemental pestering from eras gone by. For us, none of this really matters. To this day, we wear the inexpensive rings we found at some beach peddler on a trip to Florida. There was no ceremony, no cake, no guests and no dress. It was simply something we felt we wanted to do. Aside from the banshee scowling at us from the other side of the desk that day - clearly nonplussed that we were the only ones in line not filing papers for divorce - it was a pleasant and quiet experience. We followed it up with a brief lunch at a friend's diner, then I headed back to work.

Many of my treasured memories of our time together thus far have been understated and simple. And we couldn't be more blessed than we are with our two beautiful (and kick-ass) boys. There have been so many ups and downs, celebrations and trials. Each day has the potential of bringing a new obstacle or crisis. And that's OK. It's all part of the cycle.

We understand each other on levels many others will never grasp. We bitch and gripe one moment, then find ourselves laughing and embracing the next. Anyone who knows me knows what a complete pain-in-the-ass I am (the rest of you have surely come to this conclusion based on previous posts ;) ) - I have a moving truck full of baggage and enough insecurities to fill a stadium. Yet when he looks at me, he has stars in his eyes as he appreciates me in all my troubled glory.

A dear friend of mine once remarked how drastically people can change in 5 years - and how she felt so fortunate that, even after all those changes, she and her husband of now 30 years were still so compatible. When My Honey and I first met, it was all such a whirlwind that I hardly think we gave any serious thought to compatibility. We had our first child rather quickly and then found ourselves immersed in the dramas of our respective families. Along came the permanent arrival of an in-law, the purchase of a house, the birth of our second child and the resulting financial/work stresses galore. Would we have popped up on some illuminated screen as the "Perfect Match"? Probably not. But it's often far more fun to succeed despite the odds, no? Somehow, at the end of each day, as we sit in the garage and chat over a beer or box of wine - the world just seems right.

  I won't pretend I'm not perplexed by the symbolism behind "wood" for a 5 year anniversary... Nor will I mask the fact that my train of thought instantly derails the way of innuendos.... Nonetheless, we have no real reason to be bound by others traditions, so our guilty pleasure dates to the hardware store should suffice. As my crystal ball has been misplaced somewhere, I have no clue what the future holds. There is no false hope or promise of a life-sized bowl of cherries....

....But with each passing day, I will thank the stars that I have my best friend, soul mate and the father of my two boys to brave it all with! Love you, Sugar! XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment