DO NOT PUSH THE RED BUTTON!!....No, Not That One - Yes, That's The One.

"You will be praised by fellow right-wing extremists when you successfully attack a clinic which performs birth-control operations on pets."

Is nothing sacred anymore? This morning, I was browsing one of two mediocre-at-best news sites that I can load in a reasonable amount of time between smokes & coffee in my garage. Wow, I really DO have a fetish for run-on sentences....Anyhoo, it was some random mumblings stolen from the AP news wire about symbols & numbers used by neo-nazis. I actually didn't intend on clicking on that story as I was TRYING to load advice on how to combat the weeds in my front yard... Nonetheless, thanks to lacking basic motor skills, there I was - scrolling mindlessly through all the images and characters that could be misconstrued. While there, I thought I'd seek reassurance that numbers I tend to select for PIN's and passwords wouldn't be scrutinized in any manner by Big Brother. Nope. I'm safe. But it leads me directly (in a roundabout fashion) to the point:



We, as a society, feel some sense of entitlement to complete transparency regarding any and all subjects. I'm as guilty as the next - I'll be reading some minimal-intelligence debate on whether or not violently explicit photos should be published (generally two to three weeks after the same photos have gone viral) and distributed to the public at large.... Within moments of growing bored with the point-counterpoint, there I am, googling (or goggling) the photos to see what all the fuss is about (As you can see, I'm never on top of the fad of the moment). Plus, everyone enjoys a good train wreck, no?



One of many resulting problems is widespread exposure not only to "graphic content", but literally step-by-step instructions on how to be a successful criminal. On a far larger scale, those predisposed towards instability, genetically or through circumstance, were just instantly & technologically provided an open door for mayhem. Ever seen one of those little local news quips about some 13 year old shithead arrested for making a pipe bomb immediately followed by the recipe for one? I can recall the reports simultaneously streaming on a plethora of cable news outlets following a certain suspected biochemical outbreak... in the interest of filling time and driving ratings, there were countless round-table discussions attended by mostly mind numbing and ignorant participants "extrapolating" precisely HOW it could have been worse. Even more volatile, mentions of specific targets that WOULD HAVE been catastrophic if involved. They may as well have included the physical address & staffed hours of said targets since researching that shit can often be time-consuming.



I'm taking a stab in the dark that our media, in general, are vaguely aware that these rather informative broadcasts can be picked up all over the world, and not just in neighborhoods surrounding patriotic tea party members "worth" saving? Oops. That was hateful. Eh, too much effort to backspace, so there it is. Given my grandfathered-in right to 24-hour coverage of global events and crises, it seems I'm just as qualified for a job with the CIA as the next guy or gal. Thanks to a vastly litigious society, if what should understandably be kept from us actually is, there will be hell and cold, hard cash to pay.



Ahhhh.... now the downside. Working for the government, I'm well aware that one must dot every "i" and cross every "t" - it additionally helps to "b" every "j" *snicker*. If certain information were actually withheld, prompt argument would be brought to the table justifying the confidentialization of things people actually SHOULD be told. I can picture it now: Millions perish in a freak tsunami because evacuation warnings were only available to those who hold TS clearance, at a minimum. This was the direct result of People vs. Kā-moho-ali ʻ i , which established this was proprietary knowledge reserved for unicorn-caliber sea beasts in the aquatic hierarchy. Nah, that would be silly. After all, animals have no rights!



I believe I've firmly established cause for my daily Mano a Mano with insomnia. I've also established reason enough to either limit my kids' exposure to TV or continue convincing them Cartoon Network and HGTV are the only stations we get via our costly satellite dish :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DO NOT PUSH THE RED BUTTON!!....No, Not That One - Yes, That's The One.

"You will be praised by fellow right-wing extremists when you successfully attack a clinic which performs birth-control operations on pets."

Is nothing sacred anymore? This morning, I was browsing one of two mediocre-at-best news sites that I can load in a reasonable amount of time between smokes & coffee in my garage. Wow, I really DO have a fetish for run-on sentences....Anyhoo, it was some random mumblings stolen from the AP news wire about symbols & numbers used by neo-nazis. I actually didn't intend on clicking on that story as I was TRYING to load advice on how to combat the weeds in my front yard... Nonetheless, thanks to lacking basic motor skills, there I was - scrolling mindlessly through all the images and characters that could be misconstrued. While there, I thought I'd seek reassurance that numbers I tend to select for PIN's and passwords wouldn't be scrutinized in any manner by Big Brother. Nope. I'm safe. But it leads me directly (in a roundabout fashion) to the point:



We, as a society, feel some sense of entitlement to complete transparency regarding any and all subjects. I'm as guilty as the next - I'll be reading some minimal-intelligence debate on whether or not violently explicit photos should be published (generally two to three weeks after the same photos have gone viral) and distributed to the public at large.... Within moments of growing bored with the point-counterpoint, there I am, googling (or goggling) the photos to see what all the fuss is about (As you can see, I'm never on top of the fad of the moment). Plus, everyone enjoys a good train wreck, no?



One of many resulting problems is widespread exposure not only to "graphic content", but literally step-by-step instructions on how to be a successful criminal. On a far larger scale, those predisposed towards instability, genetically or through circumstance, were just instantly & technologically provided an open door for mayhem. Ever seen one of those little local news quips about some 13 year old shithead arrested for making a pipe bomb immediately followed by the recipe for one? I can recall the reports simultaneously streaming on a plethora of cable news outlets following a certain suspected biochemical outbreak... in the interest of filling time and driving ratings, there were countless round-table discussions attended by mostly mind numbing and ignorant participants "extrapolating" precisely HOW it could have been worse. Even more volatile, mentions of specific targets that WOULD HAVE been catastrophic if involved. They may as well have included the physical address & staffed hours of said targets since researching that shit can often be time-consuming.



I'm taking a stab in the dark that our media, in general, are vaguely aware that these rather informative broadcasts can be picked up all over the world, and not just in neighborhoods surrounding patriotic tea party members "worth" saving? Oops. That was hateful. Eh, too much effort to backspace, so there it is. Given my grandfathered-in right to 24-hour coverage of global events and crises, it seems I'm just as qualified for a job with the CIA as the next guy or gal. Thanks to a vastly litigious society, if what should understandably be kept from us actually is, there will be hell and cold, hard cash to pay.



Ahhhh.... now the downside. Working for the government, I'm well aware that one must dot every "i" and cross every "t" - it additionally helps to "b" every "j" *snicker*. If certain information were actually withheld, prompt argument would be brought to the table justifying the confidentialization of things people actually SHOULD be told. I can picture it now: Millions perish in a freak tsunami because evacuation warnings were only available to those who hold TS clearance, at a minimum. This was the direct result of People vs. Kā-moho-ali ʻ i , which established this was proprietary knowledge reserved for unicorn-caliber sea beasts in the aquatic hierarchy. Nah, that would be silly. After all, animals have no rights!



I believe I've firmly established cause for my daily Mano a Mano with insomnia. I've also established reason enough to either limit my kids' exposure to TV or continue convincing them Cartoon Network and HGTV are the only stations we get via our costly satellite dish :).

No comments:

Post a Comment