Haunted

Among my eclectic assortment of habits, I am the proud owner of a silly one causing the need to read something while drinking coffee or sitting at the table as the munchkins eat. This can be anything from an epic novel to the back of a Home Depot receipt depending on whatever happens to meander within arm's reach. One would think I would be more thoroughly edumacated by now with such tendencies... One would further be overestimating my motivation to venture out and procure reading material beyond receipt-disclaimers on days the mailman doesn't mistakenly deliver a subscription destined for another recipient.

Anyhoo, I recently flipped through the pages of Newsweek and happened upon an article reviewing the work and craft of various artists. I do not, for the slightest of moments, proclaim to be some connoisseur of art - or anything remotely high-brow, for that matter. My boxes of expired wine will heartily attest to that.... Nonetheless, as the page flipped past revealing the following photograph, my heart sank into the pits of my soul:




This was posted with a brief caption: "Jeff Wall, After “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison, the Preface, 1999-2001, transparency in lightbox"

Having read that novel somewhere along the educational timeline, I fully understood not only the significance of the subject, but what it was being illustrated before my eyes. Nonetheless, the effect was far more personal... haunting even, to my psyche. It's not often a photo or piece of artwork can trigger such a deep-seeded emotional response. Even from a hyper-sensitive Cancer such as myself!

Aside from a morbid fascination with viewing highway safety films of the '50's and '60's, I can't say I am normally so entirely captivated - my flighty attention span contributes greatly. The imagery immediately stamped it's footprint on my brain. Feasting on my very cells and causes me to recoil in utter horror behind the safety of the hands I clasp in front of my eyes - not a moment later, my fingers part to allow the peepshow to penetrate my consciousness once again. A vicious cycle of the most disturbing variety.

I was inspired to inquire whether anyone else is moved on a similar level? If for no other reason that some minimal sense of reassurance that I'm not as out of my mind as I might guess. Enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Monday, June 13, 2011

Haunted

Among my eclectic assortment of habits, I am the proud owner of a silly one causing the need to read something while drinking coffee or sitting at the table as the munchkins eat. This can be anything from an epic novel to the back of a Home Depot receipt depending on whatever happens to meander within arm's reach. One would think I would be more thoroughly edumacated by now with such tendencies... One would further be overestimating my motivation to venture out and procure reading material beyond receipt-disclaimers on days the mailman doesn't mistakenly deliver a subscription destined for another recipient.

Anyhoo, I recently flipped through the pages of Newsweek and happened upon an article reviewing the work and craft of various artists. I do not, for the slightest of moments, proclaim to be some connoisseur of art - or anything remotely high-brow, for that matter. My boxes of expired wine will heartily attest to that.... Nonetheless, as the page flipped past revealing the following photograph, my heart sank into the pits of my soul:




This was posted with a brief caption: "Jeff Wall, After “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison, the Preface, 1999-2001, transparency in lightbox"

Having read that novel somewhere along the educational timeline, I fully understood not only the significance of the subject, but what it was being illustrated before my eyes. Nonetheless, the effect was far more personal... haunting even, to my psyche. It's not often a photo or piece of artwork can trigger such a deep-seeded emotional response. Even from a hyper-sensitive Cancer such as myself!

Aside from a morbid fascination with viewing highway safety films of the '50's and '60's, I can't say I am normally so entirely captivated - my flighty attention span contributes greatly. The imagery immediately stamped it's footprint on my brain. Feasting on my very cells and causes me to recoil in utter horror behind the safety of the hands I clasp in front of my eyes - not a moment later, my fingers part to allow the peepshow to penetrate my consciousness once again. A vicious cycle of the most disturbing variety.

I was inspired to inquire whether anyone else is moved on a similar level? If for no other reason that some minimal sense of reassurance that I'm not as out of my mind as I might guess. Enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment