"If Johnny Jumped Off A Cliff...."

" You'll have a hard time finding inner peace, but frankly, you're snorting so much large-animal tranquilizer the stars figure you don't really care. "

I occasionally pass the time imagining a world free of the hindrances of peer pressure. This is a habit borne of everything from observing my kiddos altering their personalities to fit a perceived level of "cool" to the sheep mentality of the public at large. What is the imagined result of conforming or, at the other end of the spectrum, purposefully rebelling? In the larger scheme of things, who the hell cares?



I was watching one of our little treasures off the 'ol DVR last night... I believe the episode was aired in January or so - Either I don't have as much free time as I SHOULD, or I'm just THAT LAZY... In the spirit of erring on the side of caution, we should go ahead and assume the latter -  Anyhoo, this particular treasure is a sitcom that hilariously mirrors my own home life. It's possibly up for debate whether or not that's "hilarious" per se, as it's occasionally depressing and... well... close to home. On the bright side, it seems we fit the mold of some random writer's profit-seeking imagination so perhaps we're destined for the greatness that is reality TV. I'm pretty sure I just threw up a l'il in my mouth.

Back to the subject at hand, the mom in this sitcom was trying to demonstrate all the fun that should be "childhood" to her poor socially-challenged midget. After failing to enthrall the lad with the joy that is the hula-hoop or a pogo stick, she started skipping. She was instantly and delightfully transported back to the careless thrills of her own childhood. A simpler time. And off she skipped into the distance. I was dazzled.



I close my eyes and strain to dream up what chaos would be unleashed should every last inhabitant of this planet live for no one but themselves. Not sway their actions, opinions, tastes or habits based on any influence beyond their own fancy. Clearly, that's not a good idea as it would most likely void the majority of the "laws" out there formed in the sake of keeping some level of order. I'm not saying we all should tell our collective bosses, teachers, parents or cops to "fuck off!", though this most certainly provides some hearty entertainment in theory..... Rather, if we were allowed to become the people we FEEL we are meant to become. If we didn't feel alienated for skipping in public or wearing fuzzy slippers to work. If there weren't month-long, national debates on the harm caused to god-fearing folk for allowing a 5 year old boy to dress up as a girl for Halloween. If we had never encountered "constructive criticism" simply for being ourselves.

If we had come this far in life without being "politely" asked to tone down our personalities..... Hmm....



I imagine the world around us would look vastly different. Which rather blows as it probably wouldn't, in fact, be for the better. The trouble with free thought is that someone inevitably goes and ruins it for the rest of us. "Hey, if he can walk around sporting rainbow-colored socks, I can walk around and randomly take out rainbow-sock-sporting-people with my shotgun because it makes me happy."  Somehow my train of thought has now derailed off onto the subject of Communism. Ain't that some shit? Too many things are great in theory and miserable in practice. Which brings me directly back to the direct conclusion that my "perfect" world is quite evidently a deserted island with a magically endless supply of G&T's. I see nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Friday, June 3, 2011

"If Johnny Jumped Off A Cliff...."

" You'll have a hard time finding inner peace, but frankly, you're snorting so much large-animal tranquilizer the stars figure you don't really care. "

I occasionally pass the time imagining a world free of the hindrances of peer pressure. This is a habit borne of everything from observing my kiddos altering their personalities to fit a perceived level of "cool" to the sheep mentality of the public at large. What is the imagined result of conforming or, at the other end of the spectrum, purposefully rebelling? In the larger scheme of things, who the hell cares?



I was watching one of our little treasures off the 'ol DVR last night... I believe the episode was aired in January or so - Either I don't have as much free time as I SHOULD, or I'm just THAT LAZY... In the spirit of erring on the side of caution, we should go ahead and assume the latter -  Anyhoo, this particular treasure is a sitcom that hilariously mirrors my own home life. It's possibly up for debate whether or not that's "hilarious" per se, as it's occasionally depressing and... well... close to home. On the bright side, it seems we fit the mold of some random writer's profit-seeking imagination so perhaps we're destined for the greatness that is reality TV. I'm pretty sure I just threw up a l'il in my mouth.

Back to the subject at hand, the mom in this sitcom was trying to demonstrate all the fun that should be "childhood" to her poor socially-challenged midget. After failing to enthrall the lad with the joy that is the hula-hoop or a pogo stick, she started skipping. She was instantly and delightfully transported back to the careless thrills of her own childhood. A simpler time. And off she skipped into the distance. I was dazzled.



I close my eyes and strain to dream up what chaos would be unleashed should every last inhabitant of this planet live for no one but themselves. Not sway their actions, opinions, tastes or habits based on any influence beyond their own fancy. Clearly, that's not a good idea as it would most likely void the majority of the "laws" out there formed in the sake of keeping some level of order. I'm not saying we all should tell our collective bosses, teachers, parents or cops to "fuck off!", though this most certainly provides some hearty entertainment in theory..... Rather, if we were allowed to become the people we FEEL we are meant to become. If we didn't feel alienated for skipping in public or wearing fuzzy slippers to work. If there weren't month-long, national debates on the harm caused to god-fearing folk for allowing a 5 year old boy to dress up as a girl for Halloween. If we had never encountered "constructive criticism" simply for being ourselves.

If we had come this far in life without being "politely" asked to tone down our personalities..... Hmm....



I imagine the world around us would look vastly different. Which rather blows as it probably wouldn't, in fact, be for the better. The trouble with free thought is that someone inevitably goes and ruins it for the rest of us. "Hey, if he can walk around sporting rainbow-colored socks, I can walk around and randomly take out rainbow-sock-sporting-people with my shotgun because it makes me happy."  Somehow my train of thought has now derailed off onto the subject of Communism. Ain't that some shit? Too many things are great in theory and miserable in practice. Which brings me directly back to the direct conclusion that my "perfect" world is quite evidently a deserted island with a magically endless supply of G&T's. I see nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment