The Bizarre and The Beautiful.....

"Your heart will be shattered by a beautiful scientist who removes it from your body, dips it in liquid nitrogen, and drops it to the ground."

This morning, I woke as though from the most marvelous dream of the experience had Sunday.... Leading up to this, my husband and his band were scheduled for a photo shoot in celebration of winning best rock/metal band of the year from a local paper. He had been ever so slightly briefed to arrive at a specified time at a location described as little more than a junkyard... later it was added that it is also a botanical garden...?... Confusion was abound, but he was excited nonetheless.



A few hours passed, and Papa came through the door with this somehow serene excitement beaming forth from expression. He slowly began describing this amazing place and relayed that it was quite simply "ME".... That I must visit the spot and soon! As I'm a naturally curious (read: OBNOXIOUS) sort of creature, my excitement dictated that we must immediately pack up the boys and head directly back there so I could see it for myself! What's the saying? "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" *smile* My family quickly obliged....

We drove through the familiar streets I had driven past numerous times. I kept pondering how it was possible I could have missed this place? It was mere blocks from where I once lived! - yet from the street, one would never guess such magic were contained behind a non-descript fence. We parked in the gravel lot and proceeded to unload ourselves from the car.



I little more than glanced up and a feeling washed over my entire being: This garden. This simple, eclectic beauty set against a breathtaking backdrop of the cloud covered mountains in the distance. Every last one of my senses were completely overwhelmed as time suddenly stood still.... reversed, even.... Stepping through this portal into the past... So much to take in.... bizarre, decaying sculptures, then suddenly antique treasures from decades gone by.... flowers and greenery.... bits of twisted metal and spectacular works of art littered among plants and gazebos. Awestruck.



My brain couldn't begin to register what was at play as quickly as I wished for it to.... These metal creatures peering at us from behind a tree - beings reminiscent of the Quentin Blakely illustrations in the Roald Dahl books I so adore.



For the next undisclosed amount of time, I was lost in all the glory. I was living through my boys, who had stars in their eyes - I could feel their sensory overload along with my own - they ran this way and that - wanting to take in each piece with the appreciation it so greatly deserved, but then feeling torn with notions of neglecting the very next..... Old metal signs and wooden ringer washing machines.... Schwinn bicycles and.... SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS, POLISH CHICKENS!!!!!!! (I walked into this all well equipped with expectations of the children fancying up one nightmare or another from their wild experience this fine day.... the chickens most definitely still haunt them both....).



I have always had an affinity for all things vintage, retro, strange and forgotten - this Valhalla had it all and then some! But it was more than that... As I turned each corner of wonderment and spectacle, my heart swelled with the words my husband spoke - his knowledge that this place must be shared with me - that I'd understand upon seeing it. Knowing so much about me and what truly makes me tick. I melted.



As silly as it all may seem to the casual observer, I was.... well.... home. I had rarely experienced emotions of being cradled in the welcoming embrace of a space - but this topped the list. To find that I never previously knew of the spot - it was both disappointing and understandable all at once. As though I needed this place to exist at this exact moment in time. And now it does, and I cannot wait to visit again!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Kitty

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Bizarre and The Beautiful.....

"Your heart will be shattered by a beautiful scientist who removes it from your body, dips it in liquid nitrogen, and drops it to the ground."

This morning, I woke as though from the most marvelous dream of the experience had Sunday.... Leading up to this, my husband and his band were scheduled for a photo shoot in celebration of winning best rock/metal band of the year from a local paper. He had been ever so slightly briefed to arrive at a specified time at a location described as little more than a junkyard... later it was added that it is also a botanical garden...?... Confusion was abound, but he was excited nonetheless.



A few hours passed, and Papa came through the door with this somehow serene excitement beaming forth from expression. He slowly began describing this amazing place and relayed that it was quite simply "ME".... That I must visit the spot and soon! As I'm a naturally curious (read: OBNOXIOUS) sort of creature, my excitement dictated that we must immediately pack up the boys and head directly back there so I could see it for myself! What's the saying? "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" *smile* My family quickly obliged....

We drove through the familiar streets I had driven past numerous times. I kept pondering how it was possible I could have missed this place? It was mere blocks from where I once lived! - yet from the street, one would never guess such magic were contained behind a non-descript fence. We parked in the gravel lot and proceeded to unload ourselves from the car.



I little more than glanced up and a feeling washed over my entire being: This garden. This simple, eclectic beauty set against a breathtaking backdrop of the cloud covered mountains in the distance. Every last one of my senses were completely overwhelmed as time suddenly stood still.... reversed, even.... Stepping through this portal into the past... So much to take in.... bizarre, decaying sculptures, then suddenly antique treasures from decades gone by.... flowers and greenery.... bits of twisted metal and spectacular works of art littered among plants and gazebos. Awestruck.



My brain couldn't begin to register what was at play as quickly as I wished for it to.... These metal creatures peering at us from behind a tree - beings reminiscent of the Quentin Blakely illustrations in the Roald Dahl books I so adore.



For the next undisclosed amount of time, I was lost in all the glory. I was living through my boys, who had stars in their eyes - I could feel their sensory overload along with my own - they ran this way and that - wanting to take in each piece with the appreciation it so greatly deserved, but then feeling torn with notions of neglecting the very next..... Old metal signs and wooden ringer washing machines.... Schwinn bicycles and.... SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS, POLISH CHICKENS!!!!!!! (I walked into this all well equipped with expectations of the children fancying up one nightmare or another from their wild experience this fine day.... the chickens most definitely still haunt them both....).



I have always had an affinity for all things vintage, retro, strange and forgotten - this Valhalla had it all and then some! But it was more than that... As I turned each corner of wonderment and spectacle, my heart swelled with the words my husband spoke - his knowledge that this place must be shared with me - that I'd understand upon seeing it. Knowing so much about me and what truly makes me tick. I melted.



As silly as it all may seem to the casual observer, I was.... well.... home. I had rarely experienced emotions of being cradled in the welcoming embrace of a space - but this topped the list. To find that I never previously knew of the spot - it was both disappointing and understandable all at once. As though I needed this place to exist at this exact moment in time. And now it does, and I cannot wait to visit again!



No comments:

Post a Comment