Miller Time

"Like a moth to a flame, you too will be strongly attracted, despite the nearly certain outcome, to a giant flame this week."

Sadly, no, I'm not basking in a 9am happy hour, but a gal can dream, right? I'm referring to, yet another apocalyptic moth invasion. Seems this year's plague is brought to you by the Miller (or "Owl Moth), which is one of 20,000 moth species in the lepidopteran family Noctuidae. See? Stick around long enough and you might actually learn something from this Kitty. For those of you who were already well aware of this fact, might I add:  No one likes a showoff :). 


Up until yesterday evening, I remained blissfully unaware of the impending doom that is the Moth Decennial Spectacular. Sure, I'd seen a few of the insect-world's-answer-to-pigeons flitting about here and there. I was even willing to look the other way, turn the other cheek or only clobber the ones directly in my way with a few sheets of Bounty. Seems that only served to further aggravate the gods.

It was a random peaceful Monday evening when the phone rang. "I locked my keys in the car, how fast can you get here?" What? Not even a "Hello"? No respect, I tells ya. I meandered casually upstairs (What? I didn't want to trip after guffawing in response to my 'Ol Man's misfortune!) and instructed the kiddos to throw on some slippers for the ride. Naturally they were thrilled to get out of the house for a leisurely jaunt across town... Mostly as they know I'll blare some rad disco music for their listening pleasure. I probably wouldn't have noticed it except that my gut reaction was to use the windshield wipers to clear off all the dust forming on the window....

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS...........



THOUSANDS OF THEM....



Ricocheting off the windshield by the hundreds as I sped....errr.... considerately observed and obeyed a respectably prudent speed limit down the road. The kids were shrieking and squealing.... further hypothesizing why birds weren't eating them. Why indeed? It was a bloody mess. OK, that's an exaggeration, a DUSTY mess. There's something entirely nauseating about the *POOF* sound those little airborne bodies make upon impact with the car.... leaving little more behind than a splotch of dust. Goo.  At each stoplight, these chaotic creatures were slipping into every nook and cranny of the car ahead. Miniature masterminds of some diabolical scheme to hide out in the vents.... waiting for the prime moment to strike....

A man no less than about 200 years old or so off in the distance, about to embark upon the pedestrian crossing up ahead....

WHAT!?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! HAVE THEY NO SOULS????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Note from the Author: It really is a wonder I don't get in more accidents the way my train of thought completely derails during routine errands***

Welp, there goes the neighborhood. The Millers have officially arrived.




7 comments:

  1. Annie, maybe those moth corpses all over your windshield blocking your view are telling you to slow down. (Yeah, I look at things a bit deeply. I'm like that. Weird. But isn't that why you love me?)

    Your horoscope for today: Stop, breathe deeply and enjoy the moment for it could pass you by too quickly.

    On a lighter note, I don't have a moth problem, only a few here and there. I kinda like the fuzzy moths, they are cute (see, weird, I tell ya) so I let them live.

    ((You))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha, Oh Pam I so adore you! I really don't drive TOO terribly... at least not with my children in the car... Nonetheless, I'd be remiss if I didn't observe any and ALL signs thrown my way in a fit of dust hahah!

    Love the horoscope, though I really wish someone would relay that to the jerk who just dumped HIS entire workload on my desk... (Breathe, Annie, Breathe!)

    You know, I normally don't mind them, but everything can be toxic in mass quantities, right? *snicker*

    Hugs right back atcha and I wish you a delectable day...Perhaps even one filled with the prettier cousins of the moth!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yuck! One lovely thing about living smack dab in the middle of a city is that bugs are thankfully scarce.

    When I was 8 we moved to San Antonio, and it was during june bug season. I vividly recollect turning on the back porch light and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of those creepy, shiny things. I was terrified, and had nightmares about it for months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - Love the purring kitty! Has it always been there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self: Move to a REAL city!!!! :) My husband wants to move to a warmer climate and my response is always some variation of "No, Honey.... CRITTERS". You poor thing on the june bug debacle! At least moths don't seem to have quite the sinister intent of other creatures - I perceive them as quite dim-witted. Now swarms of spiders or grasshoppers? PURE UNADULTERATED HELL ON EARTH. I fully believe they can smell my soul and cannot wait to feast on the same!! (Do they make pills for that? :))

    As for kitty kitty, isn't he sweet!? I recently nabbed him from another blog as he looks just like my old cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think, those moths were once cute little caterpillars. Kind of like cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm.....seems a valid enough point. And I must further admit that my cat was once a cute kitten and now she's a complete bitch. So what I'm hearing is the solution is to somehow stunt a moth's growth, yes? :)

    ReplyDelete

Kitty

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Miller Time

"Like a moth to a flame, you too will be strongly attracted, despite the nearly certain outcome, to a giant flame this week."

Sadly, no, I'm not basking in a 9am happy hour, but a gal can dream, right? I'm referring to, yet another apocalyptic moth invasion. Seems this year's plague is brought to you by the Miller (or "Owl Moth), which is one of 20,000 moth species in the lepidopteran family Noctuidae. See? Stick around long enough and you might actually learn something from this Kitty. For those of you who were already well aware of this fact, might I add:  No one likes a showoff :). 


Up until yesterday evening, I remained blissfully unaware of the impending doom that is the Moth Decennial Spectacular. Sure, I'd seen a few of the insect-world's-answer-to-pigeons flitting about here and there. I was even willing to look the other way, turn the other cheek or only clobber the ones directly in my way with a few sheets of Bounty. Seems that only served to further aggravate the gods.

It was a random peaceful Monday evening when the phone rang. "I locked my keys in the car, how fast can you get here?" What? Not even a "Hello"? No respect, I tells ya. I meandered casually upstairs (What? I didn't want to trip after guffawing in response to my 'Ol Man's misfortune!) and instructed the kiddos to throw on some slippers for the ride. Naturally they were thrilled to get out of the house for a leisurely jaunt across town... Mostly as they know I'll blare some rad disco music for their listening pleasure. I probably wouldn't have noticed it except that my gut reaction was to use the windshield wipers to clear off all the dust forming on the window....

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS...........



THOUSANDS OF THEM....



Ricocheting off the windshield by the hundreds as I sped....errr.... considerately observed and obeyed a respectably prudent speed limit down the road. The kids were shrieking and squealing.... further hypothesizing why birds weren't eating them. Why indeed? It was a bloody mess. OK, that's an exaggeration, a DUSTY mess. There's something entirely nauseating about the *POOF* sound those little airborne bodies make upon impact with the car.... leaving little more behind than a splotch of dust. Goo.  At each stoplight, these chaotic creatures were slipping into every nook and cranny of the car ahead. Miniature masterminds of some diabolical scheme to hide out in the vents.... waiting for the prime moment to strike....

A man no less than about 200 years old or so off in the distance, about to embark upon the pedestrian crossing up ahead....

WHAT!?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! HAVE THEY NO SOULS????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Note from the Author: It really is a wonder I don't get in more accidents the way my train of thought completely derails during routine errands***

Welp, there goes the neighborhood. The Millers have officially arrived.




7 comments:

  1. Annie, maybe those moth corpses all over your windshield blocking your view are telling you to slow down. (Yeah, I look at things a bit deeply. I'm like that. Weird. But isn't that why you love me?)

    Your horoscope for today: Stop, breathe deeply and enjoy the moment for it could pass you by too quickly.

    On a lighter note, I don't have a moth problem, only a few here and there. I kinda like the fuzzy moths, they are cute (see, weird, I tell ya) so I let them live.

    ((You))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha, Oh Pam I so adore you! I really don't drive TOO terribly... at least not with my children in the car... Nonetheless, I'd be remiss if I didn't observe any and ALL signs thrown my way in a fit of dust hahah!

    Love the horoscope, though I really wish someone would relay that to the jerk who just dumped HIS entire workload on my desk... (Breathe, Annie, Breathe!)

    You know, I normally don't mind them, but everything can be toxic in mass quantities, right? *snicker*

    Hugs right back atcha and I wish you a delectable day...Perhaps even one filled with the prettier cousins of the moth!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yuck! One lovely thing about living smack dab in the middle of a city is that bugs are thankfully scarce.

    When I was 8 we moved to San Antonio, and it was during june bug season. I vividly recollect turning on the back porch light and seeing hundreds upon hundreds of those creepy, shiny things. I was terrified, and had nightmares about it for months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - Love the purring kitty! Has it always been there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self: Move to a REAL city!!!! :) My husband wants to move to a warmer climate and my response is always some variation of "No, Honey.... CRITTERS". You poor thing on the june bug debacle! At least moths don't seem to have quite the sinister intent of other creatures - I perceive them as quite dim-witted. Now swarms of spiders or grasshoppers? PURE UNADULTERATED HELL ON EARTH. I fully believe they can smell my soul and cannot wait to feast on the same!! (Do they make pills for that? :))

    As for kitty kitty, isn't he sweet!? I recently nabbed him from another blog as he looks just like my old cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think, those moths were once cute little caterpillars. Kind of like cats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm.....seems a valid enough point. And I must further admit that my cat was once a cute kitten and now she's a complete bitch. So what I'm hearing is the solution is to somehow stunt a moth's growth, yes? :)

    ReplyDelete