TMJ and You!

"What most people don't seem to understand is that normal dentures lack the air of excitement and danger of your prosthetic badger jaw."


Hello, my name is Annie and I have an under bite. More specifically, my jaw is permanently unhinged on both sides. Held in place only by a pair of rowdy tendons... Rather like a snake...
Now lets suppose, for a moment, that I also have a crooked smile. No, no, my teeth are shockingly straight-ish, but when I smile, one corner of my mouth goes up far higher than the other. So a protruding jaw - check. And a wonky grin - check. (I won't even touch upon the other.... shall we say eccentricities upon my face?). One might suspect when I walk down the street (you know, if I left the house much) with a smile on my lips and a spring in my step, people might naturally recoil in horror. Not the case. In fact, not in the least...
I decided to make a bit of a game of it this morning. As I was driving into work, I careened past multiple garbage trucks (my driving skills are normally lacking if not ominous, but today I was able to blame a freak snowstorm) - you know the ones with the gentlemen hanging off the back? So I smiled. Despite work being my ultimate destination on top of having a monumental chest cold, I smiled. A big, toothy smile. Every one of those gentlemen smiled back - one even guffawed and almost fell off the back. *squeal of delight*! Neat! Alright, then! I pulled up to a light next to a gal who was clearly having the worst day of her life. I smiled. Perhaps she guessed I was clinically insane, but there it was - she smiled back! A fabulous smile that could light up a room! "Good girl!", I thought to myself. This would continue at every light, stop-sign, turn and U-Turn (my auto-pilot had no intentions of actually showing up for work today). I'm not sure whether there was any residual value for those I encountered along the way, but these events all collectively made my morning!

I recently penned a note of thanks to the doctor who brought me into this world with a set of unforgiving forceps. I was sure to include additional bits of thanks for my ensuing geniophobia (fear of chins.... weak chins, to be precise). Over the years, I've managed to mask the protruding jaw and even provide some cheap entertainment with all the assorted "pops" and fitting dozens upon dozens of, say,  grapes in my mouth. Let's not get dirty, my antics are purely PG. 
I'll forever be conscious of my jaw, of that odd grin. Yet I wouldn't change it for the world. Oh, there were plenty of offers to break the damn thing back into place. To wire my jaw shut. Momentarily, I had considered the benefits of that last one. But when you look in the mirror each day, there's something familiar about the reflection staring back. Not perfect, not even all that fancy. Still... for all the flaws, it's me. Unique, quirky and that jaw of mine has a life all it's own. Nope. I don't think I'd change a thing. 






2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, my lovey, me too.

    Click on my twitter picture to enlarge and you'll see the chin that launched a thousand ships.

    My 15 yr old son is also being treated for inheritinghis mama's jaw...and now, you sweet thing, you've got me thinking about writing my own post and my pride in my chin. As you age, it's wonderful to have such a staunch structure for the flesh to hang on.

    No melting puddle of flesh faces for us.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. *squeal of delight*! Is it possible to adore you any more than I already do? (Is it shallow to increase that adoration from this shared trait? haha)

    I'm sorry to your 15 year old son, as it certainly wasn't an easy process. I also recognize that not everyone with a similar condition can get past the pain to a position of pride. Much luck to him!

    *smile* I love that..."a staunch structure for the flesh to hang on"...and "the chin that launched a thousand ships"! Ha! I see it as such a symbol of strength and I can't help but be drawn to its beauty. I've been told many times throughout life it was a burden and a flaw. But secretly, I always embraced it as I'm learning to embrace all the scars of experience :) Seems we should have some sort of club in our honor, no? At the very least a ticker tape parade. Just a thought.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Kitty

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

TMJ and You!

"What most people don't seem to understand is that normal dentures lack the air of excitement and danger of your prosthetic badger jaw."


Hello, my name is Annie and I have an under bite. More specifically, my jaw is permanently unhinged on both sides. Held in place only by a pair of rowdy tendons... Rather like a snake...
Now lets suppose, for a moment, that I also have a crooked smile. No, no, my teeth are shockingly straight-ish, but when I smile, one corner of my mouth goes up far higher than the other. So a protruding jaw - check. And a wonky grin - check. (I won't even touch upon the other.... shall we say eccentricities upon my face?). One might suspect when I walk down the street (you know, if I left the house much) with a smile on my lips and a spring in my step, people might naturally recoil in horror. Not the case. In fact, not in the least...
I decided to make a bit of a game of it this morning. As I was driving into work, I careened past multiple garbage trucks (my driving skills are normally lacking if not ominous, but today I was able to blame a freak snowstorm) - you know the ones with the gentlemen hanging off the back? So I smiled. Despite work being my ultimate destination on top of having a monumental chest cold, I smiled. A big, toothy smile. Every one of those gentlemen smiled back - one even guffawed and almost fell off the back. *squeal of delight*! Neat! Alright, then! I pulled up to a light next to a gal who was clearly having the worst day of her life. I smiled. Perhaps she guessed I was clinically insane, but there it was - she smiled back! A fabulous smile that could light up a room! "Good girl!", I thought to myself. This would continue at every light, stop-sign, turn and U-Turn (my auto-pilot had no intentions of actually showing up for work today). I'm not sure whether there was any residual value for those I encountered along the way, but these events all collectively made my morning!

I recently penned a note of thanks to the doctor who brought me into this world with a set of unforgiving forceps. I was sure to include additional bits of thanks for my ensuing geniophobia (fear of chins.... weak chins, to be precise). Over the years, I've managed to mask the protruding jaw and even provide some cheap entertainment with all the assorted "pops" and fitting dozens upon dozens of, say,  grapes in my mouth. Let's not get dirty, my antics are purely PG. 
I'll forever be conscious of my jaw, of that odd grin. Yet I wouldn't change it for the world. Oh, there were plenty of offers to break the damn thing back into place. To wire my jaw shut. Momentarily, I had considered the benefits of that last one. But when you look in the mirror each day, there's something familiar about the reflection staring back. Not perfect, not even all that fancy. Still... for all the flaws, it's me. Unique, quirky and that jaw of mine has a life all it's own. Nope. I don't think I'd change a thing. 






2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, my lovey, me too.

    Click on my twitter picture to enlarge and you'll see the chin that launched a thousand ships.

    My 15 yr old son is also being treated for inheritinghis mama's jaw...and now, you sweet thing, you've got me thinking about writing my own post and my pride in my chin. As you age, it's wonderful to have such a staunch structure for the flesh to hang on.

    No melting puddle of flesh faces for us.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. *squeal of delight*! Is it possible to adore you any more than I already do? (Is it shallow to increase that adoration from this shared trait? haha)

    I'm sorry to your 15 year old son, as it certainly wasn't an easy process. I also recognize that not everyone with a similar condition can get past the pain to a position of pride. Much luck to him!

    *smile* I love that..."a staunch structure for the flesh to hang on"...and "the chin that launched a thousand ships"! Ha! I see it as such a symbol of strength and I can't help but be drawn to its beauty. I've been told many times throughout life it was a burden and a flaw. But secretly, I always embraced it as I'm learning to embrace all the scars of experience :) Seems we should have some sort of club in our honor, no? At the very least a ticker tape parade. Just a thought.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete